Date: 2013 March
Key Points to Note
- XXBMC9 official Jelly Bean firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110/N5100 models only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other device, as it may hard brick or permanently damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing tablet setup.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Note 8.0 on computer (download USB drivers).
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure that the tablet has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the firmware. Just root the tablet again to restore full system access and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- If the device is stuck at booting or is facing intermittent boot loop issues after installing the firmware, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache for four to five more times before rebooting.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged while installing the official firmware. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Download Android 4.1.2 N5110XXBMC9 or Android 4.1.2 N5100XXBMC9 official firmware for Galaxy Note 8.0 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install the official firmware on the tablet.
How to Update Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110/N5100 to Official Android 4.1.2 XXBMC9 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1 - Turn off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power button together until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 2 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the tablet to it while the tablet is still in Download Mode.
Step 3 - When the tablet connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming and may take about five minutes. So, leave it alone.
Step 4 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the tablet, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named 'CODE' or '.tar'.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the 'CSC' checkbox and click the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 6 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 7 - Once the firmware installation is done, the tablet will reboot. Once the home screen boots-up, just disconnect the tablet from the computer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 XXBMC9 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.